Customers and clients purchase from and hire people that they like, can rely on, and trust. Oftentimes, people want a relationship with the company or person they are working with. Here are 5 best practices to ensure that your customers are satisfied.
1. Communication: The first thing you need to make sure that you have is great communication with your clients. This can be through emails or even regular phone calls or in person meetings. People love to talk about themselves so make sure you keep the conversation focused on them. Ask questions about how they feel that your services are helping them while still directing the conversation. Customers want to be heard. They want to know you are listening so ask questions based on their responses. They want to know that you have an interest in what they have to say.
2. Show how you are an authority in your field. People want to hire someone that knows what they are doing. Through communication and your content (emails, social media, blogs, etc), demonstrate your knowledge. Have a clear plan and structure in place to lead your clients in the right direction.
3. Always set clear expectations and follow through with them. This means that you should be realistic and do not over promise. It takes 12 positive experiences to make up for one unresolved negative experience. (Source: Ruby Newell-Legner, "Understanding Customers"). It is better to under promise and over deliver.
4. Create customer touchpoints after the sale. Follow up with them, thank them for their business, and even mention add-on options.
5. Reply to your emails promptly. You can probably tell by now that the best way to ensure your clients are happy with your services is through communication. You should reply to all of your emails as soon as possible (definitely within 24 hours ). If you can’t answer their specific question right away, it is much more effective to reply saying that you received an email and that you will reply in full as soon as possible instead of making them wait for any response.